Monday, February 16, 2009

A Good Day

Sunday was a good day for Sherry and me. It was difficult emotionally, to say the least, but it has afforded us a transition point to move from where we are to where we will be. Unfortunately, not everyone is able to fully understand the process we have gone through in making the decision to be obedient to God's call on our lives to move to a new ministry.

Some have suggested we just wanted to be closer to Sherry's parents; others believe we want a "bigger and better" place with a higher salary; there are those who wonder what is wrong with our church that would make us want to leave; still others are just angry we are abandoning them at this time. However, many are sensitive to the fact that God is at work. One woman after church came and simply said, "Thank you for being obedient." That is all I needed to hear.

For 10 years God has afforded us the opportunity to experience Him in the midst of a wonderful people. They have always been responsive to the Lord's leading and careful to follow the Lord's leadership of the Pastor. Love has been the hallmark of this congregation and will continue to be in the days ahead. I have all confidence our Lord will raise up a people in this place who will make known the gospel from here to around the world.

There is nothing in me which can take any credit. It is simply amazing to me that God could use someone as unworthy as me in His kingdom's work. All that has been accomplished has been in spite of my shortcomings and failures. Truly the Lord is to be magnified in it all!

As I begin a new work in Texas, I am mindful of the fact that I can do nothing apart from the strength and wisdom of my Lord. I am about to face a task I cannot accomplish on my own. I have never walked this pathway before so all I can do is to trust the Lord to lead the way. At times that overwhelms me, but I am confident that this is not my work - it is His!

God alone deserves the glory. Not me. Not the church. God alone.

"To God be the glory, great things He has done! So loved He the world that He gave us His Son. Who yielded His life an atonement for sin and opened the life gates that all my go in. Praise the Lord! Praise the Lord! Let the earth hear His voice. Praise the Lord! Praise the Lord! Let the people rejoice. O come to the Father through Jesus His Son, and give Him the glory great things He has done!"

5 comments:

  1. Mark, it is exactly the spirit of this post that attracted FBC Big Spring to you in the first place. All of us are praying for you, Sherry and FBC Sheridan during this transition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark, our prayers are with you, Sherry and FBC Sheridan at this time. I agree with you that only God could make all of this happen and with God's guidance we will all make this transition together. God is doing a great work here at FBC Big Spring and it has only just begun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Richard and I are praying for all of you! We love you very much.
    When God calls there is no looking back and you will be blessed. And we will be blessed.
    We had a pastor once who said that when you answer God's call your life will be prosperous, but if you choose to not listen its disastrous. And its irrevocable no matter how tough life gets when the decision comes. We pray for and Sherry to be prosperous in this new church. How wonderful that will be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We were not at worship Sunday morning and missed your announcement. When I saw you briefly yesterday while you were helping with the microphone set-up for the speaker I would have wanted to share with you how much you have blessed us and I may have cried. There is still time to thank you in person and now my missing you guys cry is hopefully behind me. You and your family are loved and we know there is such an awesome future for both FBCs. We can only be encouraged and feel the love for both.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being obedient to God does not always make people happy or look the way that people expect. The important thing is the obedience! Keep on obeying!! Rob and I love ya'll.

    ReplyDelete