Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Saga Continues.......

Okay, so I have not posted in a while. It is hard to be creative when you write two sermons a week along with one Bible Study along with five (5) daily blogs for the church website AND an article for the weekly newsletter. But, I am faithful to you, my wonderful friends who like keeping up with me. So, I will post.

Sherry and I are still in the process of becoming official Texans. I learned as I tried to get license plates for our vehicles that they needed to be inspected first. So, here I go...off to the inspection place. The Camry, no problem. The truck, problem.

"You have a leak in the power steering hose," I am told. Failed inspection. Suzanne, our secretary recommends me to a garage which cannot see me until four days later. "There is no leak in the power steering hose," I am told by the mechanic. "They do not know what they are talking about. Take it to the Ford dealership and the truck will pass inspection."

Moments later I arrive at the Ford dealership. The inspector made it known that he did not like me bringing a Chevrolet to be inspected at the Ford dealership. He was kidding, I think. "Your break lights do not work," I am told. Failed inspection. Back to the mechanic I go. At this moment, the truck is still in repair. Will it pass the third inspection? Stay tuned.

In the meanwhile, I take the Camry to get license plates. After some paperwork, she says, "That will be $187.80." I did not pay a total of $187.80 to license all my vehicles combined in the ten years I lived in Arkansas! But what can I do? Now I have two shiny new plates on the Camry and a bright blue sticker on my windshield.

Next on the agenda is the Texas Department of Public Safety for our driver's licenses. "Could I help you?" the lady asks. "We are here to get a Texas driver's license," I say with trepedation. My fears were realized. "Have you inspected and licensed your vehicles yet? That must come first." AAArgghhhhh!!!!

So it now all hinges on whether the 1994 Chevrolet truck can pass inspection. I am expecting a call shortly from the mechanic. She (yes, she) holds my Texas citizenship in her hands. Pray for us!

3 comments:

  1. Okay, that is very strange! I'm glad Arkansas doesn't have that stipulation or Maburn's truck would definitely not pass. And that's a lot of money!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark, even though Arkansas no longer has inspections, remember how much ot cost you to transfer your registration from Texas to Arkansas. It was about the same as you paid in Texas, or more. Next year you will happily pay the seventy dollars or so to register your car, and less to register the truck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You mentioned Sunday's sermon that one of the folks on your mission trips had a rule....let's see...what was it...NO WH..AT?

    ReplyDelete